Wednesday, March 30, 2011

It smells like a coffee bar in here.

In an effort to save some dough, practice a new skill and enjoy the freshest roasted coffee available, Chris and I bought 10 pounds of green coffee beans to roast at home. We love coffee roasted so dark the beans are shiny and black. And, using this easy method, we can now make it fresh daily.

 Start with green coffee beans:

Put 1/2 cup green beans into an air popcorn popper and turn it on until the husks blow out into the bowl and the beans (which are turning constantly in the popper) darken to your preferred roast depth:

Once the beans are as dark as you like, quickly pour the beans out of the popper onto a spot for cooling. Then, grind and brew!
(Another reason you really should come by for a visit. And bring donuts.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What?!?!? It's that easy?! Amazing! Where do you buy green coffee beans?

Becca said...

YES. It's THAT easy. However, I should mention that it's rather smoky - not smoke but the air gets VERY heavy with the roasting. I usually try to do it near a window - will probably do it outside during the summer.

We get green beans from a local coffee company that works with farmers in Central America. You might be able to find them at a co-op. It would be worth a phone call! We buy the beans green for $4/lb - a huge savings over the $10/lb we pay otherwise. And it's fun. And tasty.

Unknown said...

You're in luck! I roast my own donuts.

Becca said...

Why can't Blogger and Facebook get together? I really want to "like" your comment, Brandon. And seriously, don't you need a Midwest vacation??

charissimo said...

I know it! I immediately went to hit the "like" button on Brandon's roasted donuts. Stupid blogger.

Ann-Marie said...

How ingenious!

Fiore Press said...

Becca! This is how much of a ditz I am (or should I say it's from lack of sleep with a newborn?)....I'm reading this post from my Google reader and I'm thinking, "why on earth would you use green beans (as in the VEGETABLE) to roast coffee?" Oh man....brain cells seriously depleted after 3rd baby!